So, here’s a whack at what I would say is so important to these verses. I try very hard with Proverbs to take things in context; but there isn’t much to go on anyway. So, take a gander, let me know what you think in the comments. Just in case you didn’t know, all references are in Proverbs.
- Fellowship ≠ Lavish Parties :: 17.1
- The fires of life are not like house fires, they are like crucibles and furnaces for Silver and Gold :: Prov. 17.3
- Government aid programs are an insult to the poor :: 17.5
- Fathers are responsible for the glory (or lack thereof) in their children; otherwise how they turn out :: 17.6b
- Bribes are like magic stones (or magic lamp?) in the eyes of the bribed; no wonder there is so much corruption :: 17.8
- Seek to deepen your understanding of things through rebuke; make sure you aren’t a fool (not that you could help it) :: 17.10
- It’s important to be in the right places :: 17.12
- This is why money in the hands of a homeless person is NOT good (also refers to people who think they can buy their wisdom through education) :: 17.16
- A joyful heart = Wet Bones :: 17.21
- Also related to bribes and fools – You are even more of a fool for accepting bribes in secret to pervert justice… interesting… what do you call whitewash bribery? (Hint: It isn’t congress…) :: 17.23,24
- Though I fool cannot see very well, even if they don’t know it, they have set their sights on the destruction of the earth :: 17.24b
- Italians are not exempt from unrestrained, hot-and-bothered, speech :: 17.27,28
- FYI, fools look good when they are quiet :: 17.28b
Hope you enjoyed!